Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Well then, let's get started!!

Hello everyone!!

My name is Heather Pence and I am a Senior at the University of Louisville, studying for a degree in Communications with a minor in English Literature.  I was born and raised in Houston, TX until the age of 13 when my family and I moved to the fine city of Louisville.  I am, and always will be, a proud Native Texan.  A little more about me is that I love to travel.  Getting on a plane and flying to new places is exhilarating.  I love to meet people and learn new things at all times.  As the name of my blog may hint, I am obsessed with anything England, British, or related to the UK in anyway.  To travel to that area of the world and find a job has been my lifelong dream.  It's been that way since I was 5 when I first began watching imported television shows on the BBC/PBS stations.  Music and running are what get me through the day.

Now that, that part of the introduction is out of the way, I'd like to talk about why I decided to take the class for which I am starting this blog (Social Media or COMM-460), what I hope to gain from it, and the areas of Public Relations or Advertising that I hope to get into someday and seem most interested in.  I wanted to take this course not only because of our professor, Dr. Karen Freberg, but because I have been nothing but fascinated with social media since I first joined MySpace way back in the day.  It has exploded into the remarkable field and I want to sharpen my skills to their fullest.  I mentioned in my intro that I love meeting people and building strong relationships with individuals.  To hopefully put my point into perspective, I am currently the Sweetheart for the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity here on campus.  Part of my duties is that I spread the world about the colony and help bring in new brothers.  I am a walking, talking, tweeting/Facebooking representative for these men and I've loved every second.  I want to do the same  thing for my future job.  Represent a strong company in the most positive way and help build it great and wonder things through social media.

Hopefully that answered any beginning questions.  I never had the opportunity to work any internships through my college experience so I hope this class and this blog (which I will continue after this course and graduation) will help me build a strong presence and hopefully build strong relations and networks with whatever I do.  It seems to me that we will be doing lots of hands on assignments with real world qualities that will do nothing but benefit us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment