Friday, April 5, 2013

How Instagram Can Only Get Better!!

It's fairly indisputable that Instagram is the major platform for sharing things that we love.  For all the foodies that upload pictures of their favorite meals or, if you're like me, sharing a photo of a meal you proudly cooked yourself all the way to posting about a brand you may love.  For example: a new car or the latest seasonal shade from the OPI Nail Polish line.  As Jamie Young states her in article Seven Features To Make Instagram Instantly Better, all of us are our own walking, talking advertisements (fully equipped with camera ready phones).  All seven ideas that Jamie Young listed, I completely agree with and even came up with an improvement of my own!!

Young's first idea is to make Instagram available for the iPad.  This is a fantastic idea due to the fact that large numbers of people have a tablet, a smartphone, AND a computer that they generally keep on their person at all times.  Why not have one more outlet to post on??  Back when Joey Wagner, owner of J Wagner Group, spoke in our class, he informed us about how his interns for the Kentucky Derby will walk around all day at the track, taking pictures of the fashion, the horses, anything to make the viewer feel as if they are really there.  From those iPads, they upload pictures in real to the company's Twitter account for all their followers to see.  It would be extremely convenient, as well as a fantastic strategy for J Wagner Group, to be able to edit those photos on the spot with their tablets, post them to Instagram and share those instagrammies on the company Twitter and Facebook pages.

I'm going to go out of order here and use another point Young makes to tie in with everything I just said.  How about the option to be able to use multiple accounts at once??  This could be useful for a company like J Wagner Group in case an intern snaps a shot for their own personal enjoyment (while not on the clock) to post on their own account with still being able to post for the company as well.  If you do this though, keep in mind to make sure you are aware of which account you are posting to!!  Social Media Crisis Management 101, haha.  As long as that risk is taken into account, the use of more than one account at a time can ultimately only be helpful for any brand and Instagram itself.

Syncing to the iCloud as well as the ability to make lists (like one can do on Twitter) are two other fantastic options.  Coming from someone that suffered iPhone issues with the Apple Software update a few months ago, I thought I had lost everything that had every been on my phone.  Thankfully because of the iCloud, that didn't happen.  The same essentially goes for Instagram with my pictures.  All of my important and favorite pictures are on Instagram and I feel like they are pretty safe there.  I delete things off of my computer and phone knowing that they are online on Instagram.  But what happens if Instagram crashes and all my photos are gone??  Having Instagram automatically be backed up by the iCloud is a vital thing for me. I wouldn't want any of those photos gone.  When it comes to the lists, that is more of an annoyance factor.  I don't want to scroll through my feed to look for gorgeous travel photos and only see pictures of people's coffee or inspiration quote.  Organizing the accounts I follow would help save time of I'm looking for a specific "genre" so to speak of photo.

Clickable Links, or at the very least, a Copy and Paste option for links is another improvement that Young brings to the table.  Being able to embed clickable links to open in another browser window or at least copy and share a link to take to a seperate browser is another convenience idea that would make the flow of Instagram that much steadier.

Finally, and I love this improvement so much, a character limit to captions or at the very least a read more option for captions.  It's quite frustrating scrolling through your feed only to end up reading a novel about someone's photo.  Keep it simple so that you don't lose your audience.

Now, for my own improvement, the ability to reshare a photo or when you tag another user in the caption of your photo, have that photo show up on their Instagram (as it does on Facebook).  Given that Facebook as essentially taken ownership of Instagram, I don't see how this could be a major issue.  Every single one of my friends says this about Instagram when posting photos.  A personal example of this: back in February, the fraternity that I am Sweetheart for and I went to Cincinnati for formal weekend.  There was a day we all went to the zoo and of the guy's date and I took a really cute photo together:


I uploaded it.  She loved it and wanted it on her Instagram.  In order to do this I had to either text her the picture so she could upload it from her phone or she took a screenshot of my Instagram account and then reposted it that way.  Which doesn't sound like much work but when you're running around in the sun enjoying your day at the zoo, or out at an event for work, vacation, etc. the faster you have a picture you want on your account, the better.  Everyone wins.  


If you want to read Young's article for yourself (and I highly recommend it) here is a link for you:
Seven Features To Make Instagram Instantly Better

Follow her on Twitter as well!!  I did :)
@atjamie 



No comments:

Post a Comment